iDEATE
Doodling my heart out about all things 'creative' ...
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
When LOVE = Valentine’s Day
I had to debate like a zillion times in my head whether to write this blog piece or not. I mean, I’m only 23 and after you’ve read it, you’re all probably gonna think that I’m 30 in the head or something. But all this hoopla around Mutalik and his cronies playing Secret Santa on Feb 14th and screaming “Surprise!!” to clueless lovers, was very, bherry stifling to say the least.

Do I believe in love? I wouldn’t have been in a relationship this long if I didn’t believe in it’s sheer magic. But do I believe in Valentine’s Day? I don’t know. I’ve always been skeptical about one-day-celebratory-exhibitionisms. It’s one thing to walk down Brigade Road with the love of your life locked in your arms. Quite another, to match steps with each other on the same pavement come Valentine’s. It’s like everybody expects you to walk down Brigade’s or hang out at Forum with your valentine on that designated day. More like you are doing it to pander others’ egos and conform to their diction of love.

If love truly is timeless, then why do we have to time our fuzzy hormones to clock-struck-12-on-feb-14th perfection, every year? Being in love is never hep. It is joyous, almost always. Fulfilling at nearly all times, to say the least. But what makes it so special is the fact that, no matter how old your relationship is, it will never cease to make you smile with unbridled happiness. Being in love shouldn’t just make you glow outwardly, instead it should make you feel happy and weak kneed, from inside. Where Mutalik and his dicks lost the plot is telling people what to and what not to do. Outraged people made up their minds that they would do everything Mutalik told them not to do. So it was more an act of ‘see-dickhead-I’m-walking-on-brigade’s-with-my-girl-wrapped-in-my-arms’ than ‘baby-you-complete-me’.

I loathe Mutalik from the innards of my core. Any man who dictates how love should be expressed should be gunned down at point blank range. But that still doesn’t convince me about all the euphoria and brouhaha surrounding Valentine’s Day. Maybe I’m just old fashioned. Or maybe, I’m just not high on Feb 14th as people in love ought to be. Either which ways, I still stand by the fact that love is magical without Valentine’s halo around Cupid telling all arrow struck couples, “Today is THE day lover boy. Go get some!”. For me, everyday has to be Valentine’s Day, just to make sure that my girl and me are ‘doing fine, together’.

P.S: For those wanting to know how my Valentine’s Day went, we celebrated it on the 15th and not the 14th as the entire world did (Well, we had our reasons you know). We watched Marley and Me, had a real romantic ‘ching ling’ brunch, drove around in the cool evening breeze; and yeah, we did say the three magical words to each other a lot of times.

Labels:

posted by Mister Avant Garde @ 10:50 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At February 18, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Blogger ReVelatIon nd TrutH said…

    "love is magical without Valentine’s halo around Cupid telling all arrow struck couples, .......”
    -Totally agree with u on that... :) nice one Vinay! :)

     
  • At February 19, 2009 at 1:23 AM, Blogger Mister Avant Garde said…

    hey ranju, thankies kanoo :) ... n yeah, glad somebody at least agrees with me on this da :)

     
  • At February 19, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Blogger Nikita said…

    Couldn't agree more. I think V-Day makes more sense for those people who have let the charm of their relationships wear off and have to be reminded that they should make The One in their lives feel special for once.

     
  • At February 19, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Blogger Mister Avant Garde said…

    @ nikita,
    totally agree wit u da :) ... sometimes ppl can get so enamoured by the whole occasion of valentine's that everythin except love is plannned for the day ...

     
  • At February 19, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Blogger Rain Girl said…

    oh lolz, this is soo cute. :)

    pata hai, i was thinking the other day ki v-day is much more imp. for those people who are too busy otherwise to say i love you or do sth sweet to their partner. atleast you make the effort that day, no?

    but yes, i agree, there's too much hype around it.

     
  • At February 20, 2009 at 5:50 AM, Blogger Mister Avant Garde said…

    @ rain girl,
    course i did :) ... madame wuld hav lynched me alive if i hadn't cald her up every half an hour to say the three magical words !

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Mister Avant Garde
Home: Bangalore, Karnataka, India
About Me: Have just started making money... Done studying (gosh, and to believe, i started this sojourn when i was all of three)... That's a lot of time i have spent cooped up within a classroom... Shucks, no wonder my DNA reeks of chalk powder!
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.

Links
Powered by

BLOGGER