iDEATE
Doodling my heart out about all things 'creative' ...
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
This part of my life is called 'Evolution'!
I know it's been a long time coming, has this post. But so many things have happened in my life since the last post, that everything still feels like a surreal dream to me. Self praises first! i got a Writing job at my Atlantis. Yes people, yours truly is now a 'copywriter' at O&M-Meridian (self applause!). I was thinking of changing the puggy network, owing to the really bad and irksome service that the stub-tailed cuteness has been dishing out of late! But since, Ogilvy makes the Vodafone ads, i have no option but to stick to Cheeka (the pug's name, in case you folks haven't been following my ha-ha blog of late!). 6 months is all i spent at 'Servicing' in an ad agency (meeting the client, looking dapper in freshly starched formals, writing the creative brief, doling out Marketing gyaan on whom to, why and how to communicate what we intend to communicate. Basically the 'blah' and 'faff' of Advertising!). Now i get to MAKE those ads. And better still, I'll be called as a 'creative' henceforth and not as a 'suit'! What beats 'em all however, is the fact that i don't have to wear any(thing!) formals to work, ever! Yeah folks, i can pirouette in my night boxers and a body hugging worn-out tee for all i care and nobody's gonna tick me off (subject to the condition i deliver award-winning copy and ideas from time to time! no way others will be tolerant enough to stand my hopelessly weird quirks as long as i deliver what i'm being paid for!). Anyways as things stand, it's going to be another week of, to use Advertising jargon, 'understanding the nitty gritties of the client - understanding the pulse of the consumer - getting the creative team to park their arse down in the briefing room - dole out out swill and lecture them on Philip Kotler and other 'strategic' thought starters for the ad - and all this whilst they happily smoke to glory and wonder where i get all this unused energy from to dish out all that drivel'!. But a week hence, I'll be 'writing' all those ads you watch on the telly. So yay-yay and a double-somersaulty-fist clenched-whoosh to that :)

The creative director who interviewed me summed it up the best after i had been confirmed as a junior writer. I was standing near the HR's cubicle,furnishing all the requisite documents and stuff. When in walked this guy right into me. His opening remark was, "Hey! Vinay right? Heard you joined new. My name's A. Where you from?". My dazed response was ( Dazed coz I was still pinching myself to believe i had made it into Ogilvy-Meridian!), " You know, this other agency, where i was working as a suit" ('suit' is lingo for 'servicing' or 'brand exec' in ad-land). He looks at me all astonished and wide eyed and he's like, "Servicing to Creative, aye? Why the transition?". When right at that moment, the Creative Director who had given me the thumbs up only a few minutes back, walked past us, and said, with that wry grin etched matter-of-fact on his face, "EVOLUTION my dear. That's called Evolution!).

P.S: Thanks a ton Ram for getting me this interview. You truly rock man!

Labels:

posted by Mister Avant Garde @ 5:15 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At November 13, 2008 at 12:55 AM, Blogger Keerthi said…

    Congrats maga...

     
  • At November 13, 2008 at 5:15 AM, Blogger PI said…

    wow. this is amazing news vinay! kudos to you. and temme which ads are made by you. i promise not to change channels ;)
    all the very best with this new phase in ur life!

     
  • At November 13, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Blogger Mister Avant Garde said…

    surely will tripta :) ... although i was kinda harbouring thoughts, (hmmm, musings, if u will!) about making the cable guys play only my ads!... and thankies for all the heart warming wishes girl... i'll need them all :)

     
  • At November 16, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Blogger Nikita said…

    Wow! Congrats. And a smart creative director you have there. I am sure it woould be fun working with him. Let us know what happens after the evolution phase.

     
  • At November 23, 2008 at 1:43 AM, Blogger Mister Avant Garde said…

    @ nikita:
    given the fact that i'm something of a flaunter (ha! that's not even a word!), bordering on 'show-off', I'm sure I'll go ga-ga over the ads i make (sigh! modesty was never my middle name!) btw, welcome to my blog. always nice when someone new reads what i've written.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Mister Avant Garde
Home: Bangalore, Karnataka, India
About Me: Have just started making money... Done studying (gosh, and to believe, i started this sojourn when i was all of three)... That's a lot of time i have spent cooped up within a classroom... Shucks, no wonder my DNA reeks of chalk powder!
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.

Links
Powered by

BLOGGER